Shifty Weather Conditions at Donington make for an Intense Weekend

It has been a cold and wet weekend at Donington Park for the first round of the Bennetts British Superbike racing season.

FP1 was a great opportunity for both boys to get back into the swing of things and to adjust to riding in the wet! Matt was putting down some top 10 lap times for most of the session which made for a great start to the weekend and a good confidence boost! FP2 was exciting with Kurt putting down the fastest lap and holding it right up until the end of the session where he was pushed back down to P3 as the track began to dry.

Sunday provided the best weather conditions of the weekend but there was a lot of pressure on the team in decision making. Race 1 was declared wet due to weather forecasts from the nearby airport. During the first warm-up lap it began spitting so both Kurt and Matt made the decision to change to wets on the grid. Unfortunately this was the wrong decision and the rain stopped with the track remaining dry. During the warm-up laps Matt had to leave the track due to technical issues, leading to him being unable to participate in the first race. Kurt persevered with his tyre decision and rode hard, finishing in P18.

Bad weather forecasts left the paddock unsure as to whether or not racing would be going ahead on Monday. The Supersport warm-up was the first session of the day and provided dangerous conditions with standing water across much of the track.

The weather improved slightly throughout the day and Race 1 went ahead as scheduled at 15:40. For Kurt, the conditions were just right and starting from 23rd and row 8 of the grid, he battled his way through the pack with the fourth fastest lap time of the race and closing gaps of three and four seconds between riders in front! He made it to 8th position and during the 7th place overtaking manoeuvre on the last corner of the last lap he lost the front, leading to a slide through the grass and a “DNF”. Matt was equally as impressive, starting from 29th on the grid and pushing hard to catch the next person, he finished in 15th position, closing the first round in the points after having almost a year out!

There will be a full race report sent out to follow this post shortly.

RBPS Photography