R4 – Snetterton Full Race Report

Round 4 of the season took place at the Norwich circuit Snetterton. As the Moto 3 championship does not compete at some of the British Superbike events, it was just Kurt and Matt on the Sorrymate Racing Supersport machines.

The weekend began on a progressive note as many changes were made to the setup of the bikes. Kurt had the slight advantage over Matt following a series of suspension development at the test day a couple of weeks before. From FP1 to FP2 Kurt knocked 3 seconds of his best time of the session putting him in P8 and Matt sliced his time by 2 seconds despite only completing 9 laps.

Kurt was feeling much more comfortable with the bike and the progress made with the settings which allowed him to get straight out on track and start working to better his previous lap times. By lap 9 he knocked half a second off as he ran shy of the top 5 for a series of laps but the competitive nature of the class saw him fall to 9thin the closing 1 minute 20 seconds. Matt was unfortunately pushed to the back of the grid following an apparent breach of rules in the session despite further improvements leaving him to begin race 1 from 31st.

The Snetterton sprint race began to look like a change of luck for the team as they battled their way forward with Kurt in 8thand Matt running at the boarder of the points from a challenging grid position to say the least, however on the final lap this soon came to an abrupt stop as a competitor’s bike just ahead of Kurt blew up dumping an unbelievable amount of oil on the tarmac. Kurt was the first to be taken down along with the two riders he was battling with. A series of other riders with Matt being one shortly followed as the incident resulted in 7 competitors down and a red flag scenario. Unfortunately, Matt was left with concussion following him colliding with a stationary bike in the run off area accompanied with a fractured finger and ligament damage.

Due to the injuries Matt sustained, he was ruled unfit to ride in Sundays feature race but he was back at the circuit after the marshals, medics and doctors in the local hospital did a great job of looking after him. The team stayed up until early hours rebuilding bikes as the high-speed crashes caused a substantial amount of damage to both. Kurt struggled to push on the brakes entering the corners in the second race due to the front end being out of line as the resources were not available to replace some major components. The team did their best to make a comeback as Kurt went on to claim 10thposition.